- At least one of the applicants must be a citizen of the Métis Nation of Alberta in good standing.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Annual household family maximum gross income must not exceed Alberta Government current Income Thresholds.
- Must be the applicant’s primary residence.
- Must not own any other home.
- All approved applications must renew their application annually if funding is still required.
- Cannot be accessing other subsidized housing.
- Must not be renting from immediate family (parents or siblings).
Required Documents to Apply
- Completed and signed application.
- Two pieces of photo ID
- Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship card for applicants.
- Driver’s license, passport, or any other government issued ID card.
- Copy of current rental agreement (lease).
- Notice of Assessment from the CRA for previous year for all household residents over 18.
- Latest pay stubs for all that are working in the household.
Financial Assistance Available
- MCHC will pay the difference between the landlords required rent and the applicant’s portion (25% of the applicant’s total household income).
- Rent supplement will be paid direct to the landlord by MCHC on a monthly basis.
- Maximum amount of rental supplement per year, per approved application is $5400.00 (not including security deposit). All approved applications will be reviewed after six months.
- MCHC will pay applicants security deposit to a maximum of $850.00 per application.
- Applicants can access the rent supplement program for a maximum of 24 months.
- MCHC will pay the security deposit direct to the landlord.
- MCHC will pay the monthly rent supplement direct to the landlord.
- Applicant will sign a funding agreement with MCHC.
- Applicants must submit updated household and income information at six months for rent supplement to continue.
- No other person than those listed on original application shall reside in the rental property as this will nullify the agreement.
"I am writing to provide an update as per your request regarding the rental supplement I am currently receiving. This supplement has alleviated a great deal of financial stress during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as helped me to meet basic needs of living. I am not sure what I would do without this supplement and I am very thankful to have this support" - J.S.