- Must be a citizen of the Métis Nation of Alberta in good standing.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student in a school.
- Must be minimum 18 years of age.
- Annual maximum gross income must not exceed Alberta Government current Income Thresholds.
- Must be the applicant’s primary residence when attending school.
- Must not own any property (land or home).
- All approved applications must renew application annually if assistance is still needed.
- Must not be renting from immediate family (parents or siblings).
Required Documents to Apply
- Completed and signed application.
- Two pieces of ID
- Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship card for applicant.
- Driver’s license, passport, or any other government issued ID card.
- Confirmation of enrollment in a school away from their family residence.
- Copy of current rental agreement (lease)
- Notice of Assessment from the CRA for previous year for the applicant.
- Most recent pay stub for applicant.
- Training sponsorship documents.
Financial Assistance Available
- MCHC will pay $200.00/month of the students rent directly to landlord.
- MCHC can pay up to $850.00 of your security deposit directly to landlord.
- Maximum amount of rent supplement per year per approved application is $2400.00. All approved applications will be reviewed after six months.
- MCHC will pay the security deposit directly to the landlord.
- MCHC will pay the monthly rent supplement direct to the landlord.
- Applicant will sign a funding agreement with MCHC.
- Applicants must submit updated household and income information at six months for rent supplement to continue.
- No other person than those listed on original application shall reside in the rental property as this will nullify the agreement.
Frequently Asked Questions on New Home Programs
Student Rent Supplement Program Application