Drayden Insurance Scholarship
Drayden Insurance has graciously created a scholarship to better support Métis post-secondary students in their academic careers. Four lucky students will receive a $1,000 scholarship towards their tuition – two students through Métis Urban Housing Corporation and two through Métis Capital Housing Corporation.
This scholarship is by nomination. Do you know a deserving student? Nominate them today using the form below.
“We truly feel that children are our future,” began Cindy McGinnis, Branch Manager with Drayden, “… and the best way we can be a part of their success is to help provide them with the opportunity of a greater education.”
Completed nomination forms can be sent via email to email@example.com , or by mail to Drayden Scholarship Nominations, 11923 121A Street, Edmonton, AB T5L 0A2
Scholarship nomination deadline: December 31, 2021
If you have any questions about nominating a Métis student for the Drayden Scholarship, contact:
1-877-458-8684 Ext 1132
Thank you, Drayden Insurance, for investing in our youth!
Nominating an outstanding Métis student for this scholarship? Click the button below!
Housing Programs Announcement
Our four housing programs – Home Repair, Down Payment Assistance, Student Rental Supplement, and Rental Supplement programs have been a tremendous success.
The Home Repair Program has approved $9,554,878.21 and served 543 households!
The Down Payment Assistance Program has approved $6,304,699 and served 426 households!
The Student Rental Supplement Program has approved $369,000 and served 75 students!
The Rental Supplement Program has approved $4,526,165.92 and served 571 households!
That is 1615 success stories that had their lives changed by these programs!
Our citizens have shown incredible interest in these programs, and we are determined to work with the government to secure more funding. However, all four programs will be ON HOLD until we secure more funding.
We feel so fortunate to be part of raising up our community and will continue to work tirelessly to serve our citizens. We hope to secure more funding and reinstate these four fantastic programs as soon as possible.
Thank you to our team, who have made these programs a success!
1. If I am already receiving a rental supplement, will it continue?
Yes, it will continue. We will honour all applicants who have received approval letters from us.
2. If I got my application in for a program before the cut off date, will it still be looked at?
We will send letters to all applicants letting them know if they are successful or unsuccessful. If they are unsuccessful, they will have an opportunity to apply again when we reopen.
Reaching Home: Canada’s Homelessness Strategy
As announced in our recent newsletter, we are excited to start our Reaching Home Program - a community-based initiative aiming to prevent and reduce homelessness.
The program will allow for immediate interventions and long-term solutions to address homelessness within Métis communities.
Métis Capital Housing will provide:
- Housing services including short-term rental supplements, damage deposit, moving expenses, landlord mediation
- Support and resources to prevent eviction
- Services such as financial support, public transit tickets, access to oral care programs
- Economic integration services including assistance with accessing income benefits; job search, resume writing, and interview preparation; and education and training assistance for entering the work-force
- Social and community integration including access to recreation centres, participation in sports activities, and Indigenous Elder consultation
- Clinical and treatment services such as mental health and addiction support, along with partnering with Child and Family Services to support youth in, or who are coming out of care
- Funding to cover shelter and transitional housing costs, including the renovation of emergency shelters and transitional housing units; demolition of existing buildings and construction of a new facility for transitional or permanent supportive housing; construction of non-residential facilities such as drop-in centres and counselling spaces; and the repairs of damages resulting from housing placements.
Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge Closure
Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge has been a vital part of our community since 1968. On August 31, 2021 Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge will close its doors, as the current facility no longer provides the quality of housing we desire for our elderly.
We are excited to announce we will be building a new senior’s facility in its place! The Métis Nation of Alberta’s Health Department conducted a Continuing Care Needs Assessment reflecting the needs of the aging Métis population. At Métis Housing, we recognize that we must provide safe, adequate, and affordable housing for our elders to enjoy.
We are holding community engagement sessions soon to ensure the new facility meets our community’s specific needs. The new facility will be a “green build”, keeping sustainability and longevity at the forefront of its development.
Thank you Nihgi for 54 amazing years!
We will continue providing information about the new facility and our community engagements as we go, so subscribe to our social channels below!
What We Heard - Housing Needs Assessment Report
To better understand the housing needs of the Métis community within Alberta, an assessment survey was conducted – 1068 people responded!
We heard you and we have come up with some great plans going forward.