Reaching Home: Canada’s Homelessness Strategy
As announced in our recent newsletter, we are excited to start our Reaching Home Program - a community-based initiative aiming to prevent and reduce homelessness.
The program will allow for immediate interventions and long-term solutions to address homelessness within Métis communities.
Métis Capital Housing will provide:
- Housing services including short-term rental supplements, damage deposit, moving expenses, landlord mediation
- Support and resources to prevent eviction
- Services such as financial support, public transit tickets, access to oral care programs
- Economic integration services including assistance with accessing income benefits; job search, resume writing, and interview preparation; and education and training assistance for entering the work-force
- Social and community integration including access to recreation centres, participation in sports activities, and Indigenous Elder consultation
- Clinical and treatment services such as mental health and addiction support, along with partnering with Child and Family Services to support youth in, or who are coming out of care
- Funding to cover shelter and transitional housing costs, including the renovation of emergency shelters and transitional housing units; demolition of existing buildings and construction of a new facility for transitional or permanent supportive housing; construction of non-residential facilities such as drop-in centres and counselling spaces; and the repairs of damages resulting from housing placements.
Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge Closure
Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge has been a vital part of our community since 1968. On August 31, 2021 Nihgi Métis Seniors Lodge will close its doors, as the current facility no longer provides the quality of housing we desire for our elderly.
We are excited to announce we will be building a new senior’s facility in its place! The Métis Nation of Alberta’s Health Department conducted a Continuing Care Needs Assessment reflecting the needs of the aging Métis population. At Métis Housing, we recognize that we must provide safe, adequate, and affordable housing for our elders to enjoy.
We are holding community engagement sessions soon to ensure the new facility meets our community’s specific needs. The new facility will be a “green build”, keeping sustainability and longevity at the forefront of its development.
Thank you Nihgi for 54 amazing years!
We will continue providing information about the new facility and our community engagements as we go, so subscribe to our social channels below!
What We Heard - Housing Needs Assessment Report
To better understand the housing needs of the Métis community within Alberta, an assessment survey was conducted – 1068 people responded!
We heard you and we have come up with some great plans going forward.