- Must be a citizen of the Métis Nation of Alberta in good standing (at least one of the applicants must be a citizen of the Métis Nation of Alberta in good standing).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- NEW! Annual household family maximum gross income must not exceed $150,000.00.
- Applicant must be the registered owner of the property requiring repairs.
- Must be the applicant’s primary residence (house, trailer, cabin).
- Must not own any other property (land or home).
- Must exhaust other government funding programs first, before applying.
- Must produce proof of home insurance.
- Home must be in reasonable condition and deemed safe with these specified repairs.
Required Documents to Apply
- Completed and signed application.
- Two pieces of photo ID
- Métis Nation of Alberta citizenship card for applicant(s).
- Driver’s license, passport, or any other government issued ID.
- Current copy of Title required for home being repaired.
- Notice of Assessment from the CRA for previous year for all household residents over 18.
- Latest pay stub for all that are working in the household.
- Detailed budget of required home repairs.
- Three quotes for the work required by qualified contractor – good for a minimum of 60 days.
- Proof of home insurance or letter from an insurance provider stating the property cannot be insured in its current state.
- Proof that existing mortgage and property tax is current.
- Only complete applications will be processed.
Financial Assistance Available
A maximum amount of $20,000.00 per application.
Have some home repairs or renovations you’ve been wanting to do, but couldn’t? This program is designed for you! Covers all interior and exterior repairs and renovations. This includes:
- Windows & doors
- Plumbing & electrical
- Roofing & siding
- Painting, counter-tops, and cabinets
- Essential landscaping like fencing, grading, sod, and raised garden beds
- Exterior doors and windows
- Mold remediation
- Water and sewer systems
- Other repairs that affect the health and safety of the residents.
Required adaptations to the home that would keep the home owner or their family member(s) in their home will also be considered: wheel chair accessibility to home, widen doorways, washroom etc.
- Applicant must sign a funding agreement with MCHC.
- Applicant must provide proof of Insurance on property to MCHC.
- Applicant must sign an agreement charging land (allows MCHC to put caveat on property).
- Repair must be completed within six months of application date.
- MCHC will confirm work is complete, before payment.
- MCHC will pay the selected contractor directly up to the amount of funding approved.
- Applicant must pay any amount over and above the approved funding directly to the contractor.
- The funding is forgiven and caveat comes off after five years as a primary residence.
- Approved applicants will repay all or part (prorated portion) of the funding plus 6% interest to Métis Capital Housing Corporation if the property is sold or they cease to live in the home within five years of date of funding.
We would like to extend our Thanks and Gratitude for this opportunity to increase our quality of life by helping with the home improvements we needed in this trying times. Everyone was so helpful with the process. I makes me Proud to be part of the Métis Nation of Alberta. Once again, Thank You" - J. L.